Why time for a cake

I think we all deserve a short getaway from our routine everyday, a few minutes away from work or/and domestic chores...

My blog is the answer: a good combination between love for cakes and the music of the Beatles.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Cake forty - one alias Bread Two

Bread Bunny & Sheep

There’s a long tradition of Easter breads in each country, wreaths and braids are certainly the most common shapes, with or without eggs on top. They range from the most sophisticated ones which look like bread sculptures to very simple ones which look like a doughnut with a hard-boiled egg in the centre. I remember my granny was so proud to give me one of these doughnut-like breads. She lived in a  small village in the South and only saw me twice a year; there was always one of them for me at Easter.
It definitely meant something special for her but I didn’t understand what! It was only a round piece of bread with an egg on top, neither soft or sweet in my child's eyes. I thanked her politely, but now after many years I’m sure she understood I didn’t appreciate it much! It had nothing to compare with the colourful and delicious chocolate egg I would receive from my parents. Now I see she was offering me a piece of her past, it was her way to give me her blessing, a kind of ritual to pass on to me. Her bread looked quite ordinary, I must admit, but it was her work of art, the best she could do. 


song: And I love her
to all grannies and, in particular, to mine


see recipe:  http://time-for-cake-making.blogspot.it/2014/06/cake-forty-one-alias-bread-two-bread.html

No comments:

Post a Comment